Grow and Behold in the news
- Meet the Hanaus: Providing Kosher, Ethically Produced Meat and Poultry by Rachel Wizenfeld, Jewish Action Magazine, Spring 2013. Thoughts on founding a kosher pastured meat business, high quality meat, and family business in the OU Magazine.
- House Rules by Joan Nathan, Tablet Magazine, February 23 2012. Accustomed to calling the shots in the kitchen, top chefs tackle a new challenge: keeping their menus kosher at a pair of Washington fundraisers - including serving Grow and Behold roasts. Recipe included.
- Kosher Meat from Humanely Treated Animals by Hannah Lee, The Philadelphia Jewish Voice, February 8, 2012. A review of Grow and Behold including interviews with customers in the Philadelphia area.
- A Brother's Way Back to Israel
by Joan Nathan, NY Times, September 21, 2011. A full-length feature on James Beard Award-winning chef Michael Solomonov discusses, among other things, where the Philadelphia-based chef of Zahav restaurant gets his chicken (Grow and Behold, of course!)
- For ethically slaughtered meat, join the club
Janis Siegel, JTNews.net, September 12, 2011. Grow and Behold comes to Seattle!
- In The Eye of The Beholder: Sustainable kosher poultry firm marks successful first year.
Amy Spiro, The Jewish Week, June 21, 2011.
Reflections on our first year of business.
- Grow and Behold Donating 5% to Local Kosher Soup Kitchen
A number of blogs and newspapers picked up the story about our Purim campaign to donate 5% of sales until March 20, 2011 to the kosher soup kitchen Masbia, including: Vos Iz Neias, Hamodia (p. 4) and Edible Queens.
Deborah Hirsch, The Jewish Exponent, January 6, 2011. Interviews with Grow and Behold customers explore the values that shape their decision to seek out kosher pastured meats.
- Reviving Old-world Jewish Dishes
Joan Nathan, The New York Times, November 23, 2010. Joan Nathan writes about her Brooklyn Food Tour, including her lunch in the Grow and Behold Sukkah.
- Eating Our Way Through Brooklyn with Joan Nathan
Devra Ferst, The Jew and the Carrot, October 4 2010. Writer Jeffrey Yoskowitz organized a tour of Brooklyn's hippest and most interesting eating establishments for renowned food writer Joan Nathan that included a stop for Sara's Spring Chicken in Naf and Anna's backyard sukkah!
- A New Pasture For Kosher Chickens
Rivka Oppenheim, The Jewish Week, August 25 2010. For young Crown Heights shochet, kashrut and ethics come together in Grow and Behold.
- Me and My Chicken
Hannah Levine, The Jewish Advocate, July 30 2010. One young adult writes about her experience with at a Loko chicken shechita, where Naf shechts.
- Grow and Behold: A New Line of Kosher Chicken Launches A Conversation Around Jewish Food Ethics
Leah Koenig, The Forward, June 28, 2010. Announcing the launch of Grow and Behold, and discussing the world of ethical kosher meat in general.
Ethical kosher eating
- Complex Issues of Animal Slaughter
Jillian Sherman. The Ohio Jewish Chronicle. July 28, 2011. In this article, Jillian interviews Naf about recent shechita bans in Europe; the article appeared ahead of Naf doing an educational shechita in Columbus on July 31.
- Beefing Up Eco-Kosher
Julie Wiener. The Jewish Week. Sept 30, 2009. Meet three people who have gotten involved in setting up ethical kosher meat operations (one of whom, Natan Margolit, has hired Naf as a shochet).
- Local group is bringing kosher closer to nature
Mark Dwortzan. Boston Globe. Sept. 16, 2009. This is an article about LoKo, the Local Kosher coop in Boston with Rabbi Margolit and Marion Menzin, where Naf has worked as a shochet.
- Green Engagements: The Search for Kosher Organic Caterers
Leah Koenig. The Forward. April 22, 2009.
Building a Sustainable Food System
Naf and Anna Hanau in the news
- Anna Hanau Named One of the "36 under 36"
June 7, 2013
They push, they prod, they inspire, they innovate, they pull a crowd with their ideas. Now in its sixth year, The Jewish Week's "36 Under 36" section has honored young people in our community who have dared to challenge conventional thinking and follow their inner compass.
- Anna & Naf Hanau - Grow and Behold
Bucky Buckaw's Backyard Broadcast, May 15, 2011. Anna and Naf's backyard chickens are featured on a weekly podcast about raising backyard chickens as just one example of how a locally based economies can work.
- #79 - Anna Hanau - A Farmer
May 18, 2011
Anna was interviewed on 100 Interviews, a blog by NYC journalist and comedian Gaby Dunn, wherein she attempts to interview 100 brand new people in just one year.
- 40 Farmers Under 40
Mother Nature Network, July 21, 2009. Anna was included in a list of the “new crop of American Farmers” — look for # 36!